Forum for Freedom in Education
The Forum for Freedom in Education is a well-recognized civil society organisation active since 1992. It works on harmonising the educational system in Croatia with the educational standards of modern democratic societies, guided by the principles of choice and equal access to education that enables the self-realisation of a person.
Our innovative, high-quality programmes provide support to teachers and schools, children and youth, university lecturers and professionals working with children and youth in the educational and the social welfare systems. The programmes of teaching advancement, civic and health education, skills of non-violent conflict resolution and improvement of school management are designed for those stakeholders.
The goals of the programmes of the Forum for Freedom in Education are achieved through professional training seminars and educational activities, studies and analyses, campaigns and creative competitions, as well as through direct work with teachers and schools. Publishing plays an important role in disseminating best practices by way of compendia and other publications available on the organisation’s web site. Particular attention is paid to the development of high-quality programmes for children and youth so that they can gain knowledge and skills for their participation in societal and democratic processes.
RECOGNIZED AND ACCEPTED
Over its almost 25 years of work, the Forum for Freedom in Education has grown into an organisation that successfully uses European Union funds for the development of Croatian schools and the professional training of teachers.
Over 10,000 primary and secondary teachers have participated in our training events and workshops, and we are particularly proud of the average evaluation mark of our seminars: 4.8 (on a 1-5 scale). The National Foundation for Civil Society Development recognised the Forum for Freedom in Education’s work and awarded it their institutional support on three occasions. Representatives of the Forum for Freedom in Education have participated in the work of a number of professional committees and working bodies in the field of education on the national level. We have been, by decision of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Croatia, an accredited conciliation organisation since 2013.
The most noticeable testament to the work and programmes of the Forum for Freedom in Education is the number of established partnerships with primary and high schools, municipalities, cities and counties, as well as other relevant stakeholders in education.
Organising high-quality teaching and giving students an incentive to participate, collaborate and think critically, are only some of the challenges teachers face on a daily basis. The Teachers have recognised the seminars “Reading and Writing for Critical Thinking” and “Active Learning and Critical Thinking in Higher Education” for both for their high quality and their practical aspects. Applying a new teaching philosophy with over 80 methods and techniques, these seminars take teaching to a new level.
While different as individuals, we are all citizens of the Republic of Croatia and of the European Union. To be a citizen of a democratic society implies certain knowledge, skills and values that need to be developed from an early age. The goal of this programme is to develop civic and societal competences among children and youth, as well as among all citizens. The programme activities explore various issues to strengthen the role of education in forming a democratic culture, actively work to introduce civic education in schools, and organise creative competitions and activities with children and youth to enable them to know how to be active citizens. The programme’s goals are realised through the professional training seminars: Law in Everyday Life, Anti-Corruption Education and Education on the European Union.
Mediation is a very efficient means of conflict resolution, and can be implemented on all levels, from day-care to schools, as well as in social welfare institutions, companies, public administration and even in courts, where solving cases through mediation requires less time and fewer resources.
The programme “Mediation” promotes non-violent behaviour in education and society: through training events, the creative competition “Colour the World”, work with children and youth and stimulating publications. A particular value was discovered in combining mediation and volunteering as a new incentive for a non-violent society and care for others. Basic and advanced professional training seminars on mediation have been created for teachers and other experts. All participants who successfully graduate from the course can apply to be listed in the Registry of Conciliators with the Ministry of justice.
BETTER SCHOOL MANAGEMENT
Everyone involved in managing schools must foster life-long education.. This programme, developed in collaboration with research institutes and international partners, is designed for them. The goal of the programme is to strengthen the managerial capacities of schools to make them focal points of their communities. The programme is implemented through the seminars “Introduction to Project Thinking”, “Preparing Applications for European Union Funds“ and “Public Relations in Education”.
Schools should pay particular attention to students with special needs. The seminar “Competence Development for the Education of Students with Behaviour Problems” empowers teachers and expert assistants for work with students with behavioural problems, notably by developing collaboration and teamwork, counselling and conducting indicated interventions.
PROGRAMMES FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
The creative competition “Colour the World!” became the focal point for promoting tolerance in schools. We receive hundreds of creative works every year, in which students contemplate tolerance by sending the adults clear messages on the society they wish to live in.
Educational programmes of the Forum for Freedom in Education for youth – summer schools and academies, seminars and workshops – are always a place for learning, new friendships, creative ideas, and are a place where young people respond positively to the incentives and effort invested.
Volunteers are a great treasure for the Forum for Freedom in Education. Each year university students and other young professionals join our team to gain basic teamwork skills, learn about the educational system and share in the construction of a better educational system and society.
The Forum for Freedom in Education has been implementing the programme of scholarships in the United Kingdom since 1992, and over 100 students from Croatian high schools have participated in the programme. The experience of education in British schools provided them with a wide range of educational opportunities and they forged friendships that have lasted after the end of their schooling.
FORUM FOR FREEDOM IN EDUCATION AS A RELIABLE PROJECT PARTNER
The Forum for Freedom in Education is an experienced and reliable partner in the implementation of educational projects, competency development and local community development.
STRENGHTS OF THE FORUM FOR FREEDOM IN EDUCATION AS A PARTNER
- Reliable partner
- High-quality, recognised programmes and projects
- Excellent, motivated team
- Wide network of trainers and experts
- Years of managing EU projects
- Network of partner organisations
- “Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything! For your efforts, your optimism, your knowledge, for being so organised and for being willing to help each and every one of us. I will return to my everyday work feeling strengthened and relaxed, ready to start change.”
- “One of the best trainings I have ever attended; extremely well thought-through (the complete project) and organised. Excellent trainers. Excellent topics. But what makes it different from most other useful trainings is that it is INSPIRATIONAL, so I believe it would really result in implemented projects.”
- “I am honoured to have become part of this project. It provided me with the necessary know-how, inspiration and gave me a push to start projects. Thank you!”
- “The training was excellent. The best professional training I have had in my 13 years as teacher. The promise we made at the beginning – that we would deeply and structurally change as persons – came true in the end.”
- “The training enriched my teaching work and I couldn’t wait to begin applying the methods in the classroom. I started thinking about teaching differently and began planning it differently; I finally have a critical approach to issues. It improved my self-confidence; I often use improvisation in the classroom; I test to what extent I have internalised the methods.”
- “A wonderful, informative, motivating training. Great organisation. The trainers were FANTASTIC! We have revised a lot and learned even more. “Base” groups were an ideal idea. Great ratio of work in bigger and smaller groups. This is my favourite training that I have attended in the 10 years of my career. THANK YOU!“
- “Knowledgeable, professional, cheerful, successful! Motivating, inspiring, important. As Elis said: To know we’re not alone!“
- “It is difficult to find the right words while the impressions are so big and fresh.
- FANTASTIC, FULFILLING, UNFORGETTABLE.”
- “My expectations have been fully met! And more than that! You are an excellent and friendly team! Thank you!”
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Teaching Advancement
- Civic Education
- Health Education
- School Leadership Advancement
- Youth and Youth Policies
- Program and Project Development
- Program and Project Development
- Project Management
- Event Management
- Scholarship Administration
- Professional Training
- Volunteer Management
- Evaluation and Supervision
- Competence Development
Download our leaflet in English from this link.